Tuesday, December 03, 2013
Email remains one of the best tools in a marketing arsenal
Using email marketing to build your sales funnel could be one of the smartest things you can do to grow your business.
It's no secret that email marketing has become highly popular in the small business world. Are you using email marketing? Are you using it to its fullest extent? Do you need a reason to get started?
Check Out These Four Great Reasons to Use Email Marketing
1. Email Marketing is Powerful
Tremendous reach can be achieved with email. Because nearly everyone has access to it, you have the potential to reach an audience of immense size. The proliferation of smart phones has only expanded the value of email marketing. The percentage of people reading mail on their phone has been increasing steadily. Currently it's at around 40% and climbing.
Email marketing is also powerful because it tells your story to a willing audience. Of course, that's assuming that you use legitimate list building methods. When people opt in, they're telling you that they want to hear from you. Building a list in that manner sets you up to succeed.
Interactivity is a powerful aspect that makes email marketing so desirable. Recipients choose whether to open, where to click and how to complete your occasional surveys. An engaged audience builds warm leads.
2. Email Marketing Tools Are Robust
Using an email service provider gives you great capabilities. Deliverability is among the best features. There's no point in having a big mailing list if your audience is not being reached. An email service provider and proper list building practices are your one-two punch.
Analytics and reporting give you valuable, detailed information about the behavior and interests of your recipients.
Information gained from analysis helps you segment your audience. It gives you the power to make your content more relevant, and, consequently, more effective.
The survey capabilities associated with email allow you to drill down into your customers' needs and preferences with fine detail. As a result, you will craft your messages better, and even discover opportunities for new product offerings.
Color and images enhance email, making your campaigns that much more appealing. A word of caution is in order, however. Appealing visuals are great, but there's no substitute for relevant, top quality content.
3. Email Marketing is Effective
You'll never camp out on your customer's doorstep. And your sales staff doesn't have magical intuition to know when your customer is ready to buy. But email gives you the power to communicate with regularity. You want to achieve achieve top-of-mind awareness. When your customers are ready to push the buy button, you want to be the first one they think of.
4. Email Marketing is Cost Friendly
The entry cost for email marketing is low. The basic charges from an Email Service Provider are minimal. But you also have to determine the labor costs associated with your particular email strategy. The content of your email will depend on whether you offer goods or services. Regardless, find ways to introduce efficiencies into your email campaigns.
- If your content is based on articles, for example, find ways to reduce the costs related to the development of those pieces. Have a whole series written at one time. Whenever possible, maximize the use of existing content. That content can also be the basis for video scripts.
How to Get Started
Email marketing is powerful, robust, effective and cost friendly. Like anything else, however, it requires effort and planning. Consider these five points.
Build your list by using industry best practices. Refrain from buying lists. Give people a reason to opt in.
- Select a reputable email service provider. Don't just look at the price tag. Find out about their quality of service and support. Investigate their features.
- Build a content plan. You know the old adage. If you fail to plan, you're planning to fail. Your campaigns will falter if you wait until the last minute to write your content.
- Measure your results. Make a plan to measure the results of your campaigns for continual improvement. You’ll be glad you did.
- Get the help you need. If you’re running a business you can’t do everything yourself. Get help from a capable employee or use the services of an outsourced marketing professional.
Steve Smart works with busy entrepreneurs who want to improve their marketing efforts. He lives in St. Louis and can be reached at srsmart@2Qsolutions.net or 636-699-8772.
Posted by Steve Smart